Hey my wonderful loves! So this year I am moving my post in a more God centered direction because in my life focusing everything on God is my most important goal.
Something that most people, christian or not agree on is the importance of honesty. Most people acknowledge that there exist a moral code in this world and in most peoples mind honesty is to be respected and is seen as good, even if most of us may not love it out.
Honesty is something that is stressed endlessly in the Bible but often times when we think about doing it ourselves we struggle with the how part of it. Honesty in our culture has become more of a convenient thing. We choose to be honest we want to.
God calls us to be more than just honest when it is easy, but to be honest in every situation. And that does not mean you should go screaming and speaking your mind and telling every secret any tells you. It means you should be careful what you say and know when to not say anything.
There are many verses about honesty which I will list later below. But, the way I see it is that honesty is a lifestyle. We have to choose to take honesty into every area of our life. Every conversation, chose to either be honest or to not speak.
It seems like a huge step and a hard thing to apply to our lives. But, God calls us to trust in Him, to pray to Him about our struggles. Bring it to Him and He will met you where you are and help you through.
Trust in Him. Often times we chose to lie because we may be afraid. We may be scared of where honesty may put us or that honesty will make us vulnerable, but God calls us to take courage. He makes us brave. When you struggle with being honesty or anxiety search in His word for His love.
When you are afraid to be honest just think of all the instances where lying made things worse for you. Remember that honesty is a short term struggle with a long term reward, when lying is a short term reward with a long term struggle.
Honesty is the everyday things. Choosing to borrow a friends homework, to look over during a quiz, to lie to your parents, to lie to friends, to manipulate others, to lead others one, etc.
A major one in our society goes into relationships. Most relationships are built on lies. So many people lead people on and then get into a relationship they didn’t want in the first place. Flirting with someone you don’t see a future with or God has called you to is a form of dishonesty.
When you talk about others behind their back, or exaggerate stories to make someone seem worse/better than reality you are being dishonest. Gossip is another form of dishonesty that runs rampant in school and social media.
The best way to combat all the many different forms of dishonesty is to keep yourself in check. Every second ask God to help you. Memorize scripture to keep you strong. Have a friend/family member keep you accountable. Write down your lies throughout a day. Just draw more and more attention to your own actions so you can pray to God to help you with them.
- 2 Corinthians 8:21 – “For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of man.”
- Colossians 3:9 – “Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices.”
- Proverbs 12:22 – “The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy.”
- Philippians 4:8-9 – “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 – “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
- Isaiah 54:4 – “Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood.”
- 2 Timothy 1:7 – “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.”
Go out and be lights for the world.